Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt about Stp

Dear Team,

Can u tell me about how to run STP  for preventing looping without blocking any port in a redundant network .

Eg. suppose we have five switches and these are connected like ring network.. 

it's question asked me in interview and  I told him that this is not possible..so please suggest me that is this possible if yes then could we do this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On Juniper EX switches you can use virtual-chassis to turn upto 10 switches into a single logical switch.  All switches connect to each other in a ring topology. No blocked ports and no STP required.

I believe Cisco stackwise+ is a similar solution. 

Also, you should be able to use vPC feature to achive the same with STP on.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I had also said it's not possible, unless you are using layer3 between the switches instead of layer2.

Because then you have spanning-tree running on each switch but not between the switches.

/Mikael

Hi,

Thanks for reply but can u tell me how is this possible if we use layer 3 switch.

Thanks

If your connections between the switches are routed links then STP is irrelevant and is not run on those links . 

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Is stacking an option?

Thanks.

Hi, He did not give me any option like Stacking. if we can do this using stacking than share answer... Thanks,

On Juniper EX switches you can use virtual-chassis to turn upto 10 switches into a single logical switch.  All switches connect to each other in a ring topology. No blocked ports and no STP required.

I believe Cisco stackwise+ is a similar solution. 

Also, you should be able to use vPC feature to achive the same with STP on.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card