cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual ISP without BGP and a firewall

antoniosiddle
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all so first post so forgive me if I miss something critical.

This has been doing my head in now for a couple of weeks and Im hoping to bounce it around in here for a bit of assistance.

Basically I have a customer who has two ISP circuits which I plan on plugging into a 2911.  Now I have configured it like this document

http://www.blindhog.net/cisco-dual-internet-connections-without-bgp/

This bit I have working fine. 

So here is my topolgy

LB.jpg

Ok so onto the next bit

ISP B was originally plugged into an ASA5510.  So on this I have a whole world on NAT and PAT translations for internal servers.  My external interface on the ASA was the 125.156.166.154/32 address and I PAT for all internal going outbound.  Static NATs are assigned to the /29.  So my new topology now looks like this.

NT.jpg

What I need to know here is how do I get from firewall to router.  If I asssign another /32 between fe0 and gi0/0 do I not end up doing double nat?  The end user also manages the firewall at the moment and I dont want to have to do the translations on the router.  Is this even possible?  I have search the internet for many many hours now trying to find an example but have failed miserably.

But I only want my existing NAT through ISP B.  I am using Policy Based Routing on these as I have specific traffic I need to go through ISP A.

Appreciate everyones feedback as Im now numb trying to find the solution.

1 Reply 1

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

I think the only way you'll avoid doing NAT on the router itself is if you can use one of your /29 addresses as the new outbound PAT address on your ASA.  Either way, you're going to have to create a new /30 range between the ASA and the 2911, and the 2911 will need to have routes to your /29 pointing back to the ASA.

If you don't have an extra address, you'll have to do a PAT on the router interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card