Views
Helpful
Replies

Edge Switch To 6509 Running VSS

dholder
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I haven't seen many questions on VSS, so I don't know if there are many issues with it. But I am getting push back from my peers that our configuration will not work in VSS.

Our configuration is as follows:

Servers are running NIC teaming software in failover-active/passive mode. NIC 1 - active - is connected via 1 gb to a 4948a, which is connected via 10gb to 6509a NIC 2 - active - is connected via 1 gb to a 4948b, which is connected via 10gb to 6509b. My single point of failure is the server.

My peers state that I need to connect 4948a and 4948b to 6509a and 6509b to take full effect of MEC on VSS.

Can I keep current connectivity, but add a 10 gb link between 4948a and 4948b, and use MEC to run betwween them, as long as I am on the same module port?

Or do I leave the connectivity as it is?

Thanks for helping the helpless.

Dave Holder

3 Replies 3

dholder
Level 1
Level 1

Correction:

Good Morning,

I haven't seen many questions on VSS, so I don't know if there are many issues with it. But I am getting push back from my peers that our configuration will not work in VSS.

Our configuration is as follows:

Servers are running NIC teaming software in failover-active/passive mode. NIC 1 - active - is connected via 1 gb to a 4948a, which is connected via 10gb to 6509a NIC 2 - passive - is connected via 1 gb to a 4948b, which is connected via 10gb to 6509b. My single point of failure is the server.

My peers state that I need to connect 4948a and 4948b to 6509a and 6509b to take full effect of MEC on VSS.

Can I keep current connectivity, but add a 10 gb link between 4948a and 4948b, and use MEC to run betwween them, as long as I am on the same module port?

Or do I leave the connectivity as it is?

Thanks for helping the helpless.

Dave Holder

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

I haven't run VSS but read the document on it. For MEC to work one switch has to have two uplinks to each 6500 in the VSS.

I believe your peers are correct, if you only have one uplink from each 4948.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/VSS-dg_ch3.html

Aaron

Hi Dave,

You will need to connect both 4948s to the VSS pair. (4948-A to VSS-switch-A and 4948-B to VSS-switch-B)and also a layer-2 link between the 4948s. As for protocol for MEC, the only one that is supported is LACP. PAGP is supported if you are connecting only one switch with 2 uplinks. We use Stacked Cisco 3110x switches (they are like the 3750s except they live in IBM blade chassis) to connect to VSS boxes in our data center.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card