Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eem script to clear vty line configs, is it possible

Hi guys,

i wanted to know if there is a way to clear existing vty config on cisco devices like routers and switches?

i was thinking of automating it using an eem script but i git stuck in the actual logic to use for this

what i figured was using the output of sh run | grep ‘^line vty’ to a variable

then go conft and enter the first cli result of that output and somehow i should then negate all commands that were configured on that line vty , like no ‘cli result’ on all matches from sh run | s variable

this proves harder then i thought doh

this is what i got so far, it greps all configured vty lines and displays the config of them one by one:

event manager applet vty

event none

action 10 cli command “enable”

action 20 cli “term shell”

action 30 cli command “sh run | grep ‘^line vty’”

action 40 foreach line “$_cli_result” “\n”

action 50 set OUT “$line”

action 60 cli command “sh run | s $OUT”

action 70 wait 5

action 70 end

so next step would be to somehow clear all existing configuration of these vty lines

i hope someone can help me out 

5 Replies 5

pieterh
VIP
VIP

is it an option to "default" the lines ?

Many CLI commands also have a default form. By issuing the default command-name command, you can configure the command to its default setting. The Cisco IOS software command reference documents generally describe the function of the default form of the command when the default form performs a different function than the plain and no forms of the command. To see what default commands are available on your system, enter default? in the appropriate command mode.

you can try if  "default line vty 0 4"  works for your purpose

NB myself have used this only on interfaces "default interface Gi1/0/1" 

Hi,

Hi Pieter, thanks but ,No, that unfortunately does not work with vty lines, this is what you will get:

R1(config)#default line vty 0 4
% Can't delete last 5 VTY lines

the problem i have is that we have several different configs for like vty 0 3, then another for line vty 4 and then finally yet another config on vty 5 till 15

Some of the lines need to be removed but not all, like for instance  rotary command on line vty 4 but i cannot find a way a do it using a script

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what are you looking to run every few hours and clear all vty line, only if you see certain VTy lines used ? what is the desired action ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Bandi,

thanks for asking, the desired action i want to achieve is this:

first determine what vty lines are configured 

then check the config applied to these individual vty lines 

Then remove all that config from those vty lines and replace it with 1 config for all vty lines

so the goal is to remove all configuration that is currently applied to the configured vty lines and replace it all with one common config for all vty lines

Hi Bandi,

thanks for asking, the desired action i want to achieve is this:

so the goal is to remove all configuration that is currently applied to the configured vty lines and replace it all with one common config for all vty lines

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card