Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP IPV6 retry limit exceeded DMVPN

Hello Community,

I am trying to simualate an DMVPN environment and i have an issue when i try implement EIGRP on the tunnel interfaces to create an adjacency.

I constatly getting retry limit exceeded messages on the HUB router. No eigrp related messages appear on the spoke.

I have uploaded the hub's configuration and one of the spokes.

The underlay network is functionable through ospf.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

A couple things I noticed. In your show EIGRP command you have ipv6 eigrp 1 configured twice. Which 2 interfaces is it on? I can see it on the tunnel, but if its on the underlay (physical interface of F0/0 as well then that overrides the OSPF network as its go a lower AD and will cause recursive routing. 

Secondly you don't have any NHRP commands to actually make DMVPN function. 

Thirdly which DMVPN phase are you trying to achieve? As they each have slightly different configurations.

Can you provide some more information  on what you are trying to accomplish and we can better help you. If I were to assume, it would look something like this:

On the HUB (R6) tunnel interface add:

ipv6 nhrp network-id 1

ipv6 nhrp map multicast dynamic

tunnel mode gre multipoint ipv6

no ipv6 split-horizon eigrp 1

no ipv6 next-hop-self eigrp 1

On the Spoke (R7) tunnel interface add:

ipv6 nhrp network-id 1

ipv6 nhrp nhs 2001:DB8:1111:1::7 nbma 2001:DB8:0:3::1 multicast

Remove: tunnel destination2001:DB8:0:3::1

You will also need to enable the IPV6 EIGRP router process with the following commands:

conf t

ipv6 router eigep <AS#>

no shutdown

You might also need to configure link local address on the tunnel interfaces themselves for EIGRP neighborship. I tried using the default generated on and it gave me some weird errors in CML.

I may have to test this later in my lab but this "should" work. If not can you provide output form the following commands:

sh ipv6 eigrp inerfaces

sh run int f0/0 - on both devices

sh run int tunnel 0 - on both devices

-David

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hello,

A couple things I noticed. In your show EIGRP command you have ipv6 eigrp 1 configured twice. Which 2 interfaces is it on? I can see it on the tunnel, but if its on the underlay (physical interface of F0/0 as well then that overrides the OSPF network as its go a lower AD and will cause recursive routing. 

Secondly you don't have any NHRP commands to actually make DMVPN function. 

Thirdly which DMVPN phase are you trying to achieve? As they each have slightly different configurations.

Can you provide some more information  on what you are trying to accomplish and we can better help you. If I were to assume, it would look something like this:

On the HUB (R6) tunnel interface add:

ipv6 nhrp network-id 1

ipv6 nhrp map multicast dynamic

no ipv6 split-horizon eigrp 1

no ipv6 next-hop-self eigrp 1

On the Spoke (R7) tunnel interface add:

ipv6 nhrp network-id 1

ipv6 nhrp nhs 2001:DB8:1111:1::7 nbma 2001:DB8:0:3::1 multicast

Remove: tunnel destination2001:DB8:0:3::1

You will also need to enable the IPV6 EIGRP router process with the following commands:

conf t

ipv6 router eigep <AS#>

no shutdown

You might also need to configure link local address on the tunnel interfaces themselves for EIGRP neighborship. I tried using the default generated on and it gave me some weird errors in CML.

I may have to test this later in my lab but this "should" work. If not can you provide output form the following commands:

sh ipv6 eigrp inerfaces

sh run int f0/0 - on both devices

sh run int tunnel 0 - on both devices

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card