Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Peer-Termination Received

Lee Smitherman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently investigating an issue where peers (routers) of an ASA firewall are randomly (once, twice a week) getting

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE:EIGRP Neighbor X.X.X.X is down:Interface PEER-TERMINATION

messages and drops in the network traffic while the neighbourship is re-establish.

This doesn't happen on all devices,  some times 1 or some time 3 out of 5 neighbours on different interfaces.  The interfaces look clean,  not fully utilised.  So it seems the ASA is terminating the EIGRP neighborship in a controlled manner.  The ASA doesn't have anything in the logs.  Has anyone seen this behaviour from any other type of device,  why it would be happening and what would cause it?

Thanks, Lee.

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

- your router receives a PEER-TERMINATION from the other router and tears down the neighbor relationship.

So why is the other router sending the PEER-TERMINATION? When we find the answer to that we will know what the problem is.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Exactly, however the other Router(ASA Firewall) is giving nothing up!  Hence wondering if anyone else has seen these issues before.

I am not familiar on ASA firewall....not sure if you can try debugging eigrp on firewall if supported and let me know the status?

Amit Goyal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1. What are the EIGRP timers being used in your network. I hope they are not aggressive.

2. Check for any SIA messages which can also lead to PEER termination.

HTH

-Amit

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card