Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Summarization

inaiate87
Level 1
Level 1

hi friends,

In EIGRP, is it possible to configure a summary route from an AS into an interface connected to a different AS?

Thnks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I believe that it is not possible because different AS in EIGRP do not share/exchange routing information between them by default. The only way how to get such information from one AS to another is to configure redistribution.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/16406-eigrp-toc.html#twoeigrpauto

As Paul correctly pointed out, the manual summarization is configured using the command: ip summary-address eigrp as-number network-address subnet-mask [admin-distance]

You see, there's the as-number parameter which defines the actual AS we want to perform summarization in, so unless the network you want to summarize is included in both AS (most likely due to AS redistribution in EIGRP) it will not work.

Best regards,
Jan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello

Eigrp summarization is defined at an interface level towards your eigrp peers

int xx
ip summary-address eigrp (as) xxxx.xxxxx

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

my doubt is if I have a scenario where a have RouterA with one interface in AS1 and another in AS2, if a define a summary for AS1 in the interface connected to AS2 will it work?

Hi,

I believe that it is not possible because different AS in EIGRP do not share/exchange routing information between them by default. The only way how to get such information from one AS to another is to configure redistribution.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/16406-eigrp-toc.html#twoeigrpauto

As Paul correctly pointed out, the manual summarization is configured using the command: ip summary-address eigrp as-number network-address subnet-mask [admin-distance]

You see, there's the as-number parameter which defines the actual AS we want to perform summarization in, so unless the network you want to summarize is included in both AS (most likely due to AS redistribution in EIGRP) it will not work.

Best regards,
Jan

Thanks Jan

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

-

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card