Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Privilege Password Recovery

tlbiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to reset the enable privilege password for a 5510 ASA firewall. Right now, it is currently configured a certain way for the company I work for and am not too familiar with their firewall configurations yet (my first week). Two questions: is there a link to reset this password that is fairly simple to follow along with and how do I reset the password ONLY without affecting any of the company's configurations? I'm super nervous about doing this as I am new to networking in general and don't want to get fired for screwing something up. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sadav Ansari
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can change the password below method it will not affect configuration, only password will be reset all the configuration remain as it is.

check the below link for your reference.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/asa-password-recovery/ta-p/3126046

Pls rate if its “Helpful”. If this answered your question pls click “Accept as Solution”.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Sadav Ansari
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can change the password below method it will not affect configuration, only password will be reset all the configuration remain as it is.

check the below link for your reference.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/asa-password-recovery/ta-p/3126046

Pls rate if its “Helpful”. If this answered your question pls click “Accept as Solution”.

Great thank you for this! I will try in a little bit to see if I can get it to work. This won't affect my ASA firewall settings either right? Like all the rules and NATs that are set. It won't affect any of that?

Also, these instructions say to connect to the console port. Instead of using the console port can I follow these instructions by using SSH instead?

One more thing, when I power off the firewall and reboot it back up will this affect other users on the network that are currently working?

Never mind I was able to do some deep digging and ended up finding the original password. Thank you very much for your help!!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is this enable password or user password, they are 2 different things. make sure you clarify what you like to do, do not lock yourself by changing the wrong one.

my suggestion always, create another user with admin-level access, test it before you change another user password for a safe approach.

also, keep in mind is the Local password authentication or aaa authentication with the external source?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is enable password as the hostname. I can login into the firewall via putty with my user account but when I type enable in the CLI it prompts for a password that was never recorded by anyone prior in the company. I need to reset the enable password.

Thank you for the clarification, until you go enable and go in to  config mode you can not change enable password ?

or you have access config mode?

if not you need to do recovery :

BB

No access to config mode. When I type config it says "Invalid input detected" all I typed was config so I am assuming it won't let me until I am in privilege mode.

you need to reset process when you get maintenance window.

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card