cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling IPDT?

Rob Cluett
Level 1
Level 1

I'm interested in enabling IPDT in my lab to correlate MAC addresses and IP addresses.  Does anyone have any experience with IPDT and if so could you supply a configuration example.  My understanding is merely enabling IPDT globally won't get it to work.  It as a feature depends on other features for it to operate successfully.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Global config:  ip device tracking 

Interface config:  ip device tracking max <NUMBER>

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My understanding is merely enabling IPDT globally won't get it to work.  

IP Device Tracking needs to be enabled globally and at an interface-level. 

Thanks for the response Leo.

After applying it globally and per interface all I'm left with in the config of the switch is the below.  I wonder if it's not actually supported in my version of IOS or the platform.

Global config:  ip device tracking 

Interface config:  ip device tracking max <NUMBER>

It works. Thank you Leo.

Happy to hear that it's finally working, Rob.  

By the way, we only use one IPDT configuration in our interface (ip device tracking max <NUMBER>) and one line in the global.  We didn't bother with the rest. 

Another handy "show" command to use is "sh ip device track interface <BLAH>".  This will minimize the eye strain when the output stretches out to a large switch stack.

Thanks again Leo.  One caveat...

When I power up my simulation and check my two switches for the first time with the "show ip device tracking all" command it shows only the default gateways. If I begin pinging IPs it might show it in the output or it might not.  I assumed I would just run the command and see all IPs/Macs that were attached to the interfaces.

Am I seeing a bug in my simulation software?

Try to shut/no shut the ports.  Make sure the downstream clients are logged in.

I'll give that a go.  Thank you Leo.

Bouncing the interfaces didn't improve matters. I'm not sure if it's failing due to the simulation platform I am using.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card