Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Erase config

I'm trying to login to older equipment to wipe configs before we recycle. It's been a bit since I've reset passwords on devices whose passwords are lost, but I'm at the switch: prompt and following steps outlined in another thread (old & closed). After I enter flash_init <ENTER>, the flash is initialized. Next it's dir flash: and this is what I get:

flash[0]: (read-write)
vb[1]: (read-write)
bs[2]: (read-only)
xmodem[3]: (read-only)
null[4]: (read-write)

Another article states to reload the flash...well, all i want to do is to make sure that no confidential information goes out. If NVRAM is where the startup config is located, can I access that without having to reload the IOS image?

TIA,
Chris
Cisco Catalyst 2960G

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@christopher_hall 

Dont believe so. You need to start the IOS from the switch: prompt and get into the command line after the IOS has booted up.

If this device holds an IOS, it should be inside the flash: it not, there´s nothing you need to worry about.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

@christopher_hall 

Dont believe so. You need to start the IOS from the switch: prompt and get into the command line after the IOS has booted up.

If this device holds an IOS, it should be inside the flash: it not, there´s nothing you need to worry about.

I took the suggestion of those below in this conversation and booted the device to ensure that there was, indeed, no IOS or configuration. It booked to our standard configuration. I'll boot back into ROMMOM and attempt to format the flash.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From the output you posted, it does not appear that you have any IOS image on the flash, and there is no way to access the NVRAM without booting the switch.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switch is in ROMMON, format the flash because there are times when people create copies of the config and stores it as a different filename.

Considering I've booted to switch: (is this too called ROMMON?), I see the following after I initialize the flash:

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 529 files, 19 directories...

My next step is...........
switch: dir
that's where I see filesystem flash[0]: (read-write)

I try format flash, format flash[0], format flash[0]: and each time I get unknown filesystem. 

Clueless at this point...

In ROMMON, try this: 

format flash:

Solved my issue  

sudoblanc
Level 1
Level 1

Seems like there is no IOS image, just like Reza mentioned. If you want to make sure you can check by reloading your switch. It probably will show error related to bootable image which confirms no IOS is present. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card