cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether channel

jcrosby.vol11
Level 1
Level 1

When using the show interface port-channel # etherchannel command. What does the load categorie represent?

4 Replies 4

Hello,

the 'load' is the RBH (Result Bundle Hash) value, which basically tells you which packets use which port in the channel.

The concept looks a bit confusing at first, but is actually pretty simple:

If you have a channel made up of two ports, the 'load' values are typically 'AA' and '55'. These are dual HEX numbers. If you convert these to binary, you will get the following:

A = 1010

A = 1010

So, AA = 10101010

5 = 0101

5 = 0101

And 55 = 01010101

The RBH values are 0 through 7. 

If you match the binary numbers against these values, 10101010 (or HEX AA) means that the values for 1,3,5, and 7 are set

For the binary number 01010101 (or HEX 55), the values 0,2,4, and 6 are set:

That means that with two ports in the channel, the load is equally balanced (50:50). With three or four ports in the channel, you will get a different distribution.

Does this make sense ? I hope it does...

It's pretty hard to understand. At least, for me.

I'm taking CCNA exam next month and I have a great doubt about this item. Specifically, I found this question that I can't answer. Can you help me?

While troubleshooting a switch, you executed the “show interface port-channel 1 etherchannel” command and it returned this output. Which information is provided by the Load value?

A. the percentage of use of the link
B. the preference of the link
C. the session count of the link
D. the number source-destination pairs on the link

What do you think is the right answer and why?

Thank you in advanced

This is maybe be easier to understand regarding the load and how it works well explained doc

http://packetpushers.net/understand-etherchannel-load-balancing-catalyst-switches/

Thank you for the link.

It is not very clear yet, but if I don't misunderstand, the correct answer would be D...

Anyway, I'll reread the article once again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card