Views
Helpful
Replies

etherchannel btw 3750 & Nortel

clem67301
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone !

i am trying to connect a 3750 stack to a BNT/Nortel L2-3 GbESM switch for IBM BladeCenter (I use two links with etherchannel mode "on" on the 3750 stack).

The switches act as if there was a L2 loop. Could that loop come from the etherchannel ? How should i configure it ? Should it be in LACP mode ?

Any advices are welcome

thx

clem

5 Replies 5

jughosh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Clem,

Most of the non-cisco devices work with LACP with cisco devices as that is IEEE standard. So, as the etherchannel with "on" mode is not formed, that might form a loop. Please try with LACP and see if that works. If you want to be sure, please check the data sheet of the nortel device to check what mode of etherchannel does it support.

Hope this Helps...

Hi Jughosh

thanks for your answer

the nortel device supports LACP, but i have no choice between active or passive.

Should i set a link in LACP active mode and another in LACP passive mode on the 3750 stack ?

... you cannot put different modes in different links of the same etherchannel. Try with "active" on all the interfaces as this mode places an interface into an active negotiation state, in which interafce starts negotiation with other interfaces by sending LACP packets.

ok, thanks a lot for your answer.

i'll try this as soon as possible

Hi Clem,

Did your solution work ? Im stuck in the same situation and to make matters worse im new to blade & Nortel switches..

We have a BNT L2/3 switch module 6 port ethernet and want to hook all 6 ports to 4507RE 48 port gig port line card.

any help would be appreciated....  i only know how to configure etherchannel between cisco switches :-s

thanks..

Zaid.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card