cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel - Config Question

hutcha4113
Level 1
Level 1

First time configuring etherchannel.  I have followed the documentation, watched videos, etc.  The channel is up, but wanted to verify I did it right - and have not missed something.

Scenario:

Connecting a brand new 3650X into a 3750.  The 3750 is the "Core" and does the layer 3 routing, etc.  The 3650 is going to become a new Server Backbone - should participate on VLAN 10 only.  All servers in our data farm will connect into it (eventually).

Normally we just create one trunk port on each switch and call it done (we do not have a big data farm/and or IT team) but I wanted to start looking at Etherchannel, etc.

Config - Core:

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/12
 description ***Trunk to 203 - Server Backbone***
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 1 mode on

interface Port-channel1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate

Server Backbone:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 description ***Server Backbone - Switch 3 - Trunk***
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 1 mode on

interface Port-channel1
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 (Does not have the encapsulation command, as not available in that IOS - assuming it is automatic?).

Basically I am looking to improve throughput and redundancy.  Is there anything else I should add and/or change about what was configured?

(NOTE:  I know these may or may not be the best switches to use - but they are what we can afford on our budget).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hutcha4113
Level 1
Level 1

Therea are two ports on the core and 2 on the backbone switch.  I just cut an pasted an interface from each (they are both configured the same).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well, of course, you want more than one link in your port-channel, both for additional aggregate bandwidth and additional redundancy.

You may want to review whether you're using the optimal hashing algorithm for your port-channel.

See above.

Not sure what you mean by Optimal Hashing Algorithm (let me know what I have to look for).  Thanks for the reply.

3750X e.g.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swethchl.html#wp1275731

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swethchl.html#wp1276203

hutcha4113
Level 1
Level 1

Therea are two ports on the core and 2 on the backbone switch.  I just cut an pasted an interface from each (they are both configured the same).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card