Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel from Layer 2 Switch to Layer 3 multilayer Switch VLAN Trunking

Melvinb1981
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

Is it possible to carry vlan traffic across a layer 2 etherchannel switch to a multilayer (Layer 3) Switch.

I can leave the multilayer switch as a layer 2 device, however I wanted to carry the vlan traffic. I was thinking of trying to make use of svi, but on layer three etherchannel you negate the command with no switchport ?

Etherchannel.png

Regards, 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Multilayer switch as the name implies can have Layer 3 as well as Layer 2 ports. In your example your multilayer switch need to have switchports for this etherchannel because the other side of the tunnel is Layer 2 channel so you need to adjust to that.

P.S Etherchannel need to be a trunk link.

View solution in original post

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 13.35.19.png

int vlan 10 and int vlan 20 are the SVIs on the L3 switch

port-channel is L2 trunk that carry the vlan traffic 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Multilayer switch as the name implies can have Layer 3 as well as Layer 2 ports. In your example your multilayer switch need to have switchports for this etherchannel because the other side of the tunnel is Layer 2 channel so you need to adjust to that.

P.S Etherchannel need to be a trunk link.

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 13.35.19.png

int vlan 10 and int vlan 20 are the SVIs on the L3 switch

port-channel is L2 trunk that carry the vlan traffic 

you missed one command on this. 

you need to set ip routing on the layer 3 switch else you dont reach the other pc. you can ping the gateways however

:) absolutely .. you need it
I did use it on packet tracer .. didn't include in config coz thought that's sort of pre-requisite to make switch L3. But yes you right 100%
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card