Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel load balance method

xamza1412
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, excuse me, my English very bad

Whether the same load balance method on two switches connected between? if yes,why? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

They might be the same, they might be different.  Depends on the algorithm you're using and the attributes of your traffic.

For example, from a gateway to multiple hosts, you might use dest-mac, but from those same hosts to the gateway, you would use src-mac.  This because there's only one gateway.

However, if your equipment supports more complex algorithms, you could use, for the prior example src-dest-mac.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It depends on the platform, as they are not all the same.  Most smaller switches (3650, 3750, 2960, etc) by default do source mac address and larger platforms like the 6500 do source IP.

HTH

You understood me wrong

My SW1 using src-dst-ip algorithm and SW2 using src-macalgorithm. Should this suppose to be same? 

Ok, sorry if I understood you wrong.

Anyway, for consistency, I would use the same algorithm on both switches (src-mac).

HTH

necessarily? why? what issues?refers on official guide

thank you

Not sure if I have seen an official guide recommend from Cisco what method to use but usually in the lower layer (access) src-mac works well, as it is also default for most access switches and in the upper layer (distro/core) src-dst-ip is mostly used.

Here is a doc on Etherchannel that maybe helpful.

http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/jan/18/etherchannel-considerations/

HTH

They might be the same, they might be different.  Depends on the algorithm you're using and the attributes of your traffic.

For example, from a gateway to multiple hosts, you might use dest-mac, but from those same hosts to the gateway, you would use src-mac.  This because there's only one gateway.

However, if your equipment supports more complex algorithms, you could use, for the prior example src-dest-mac.

xamza1412
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks,

One question, why for switch that connected to esxi host i must using only src dst ip method?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco