cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel Max number of Ports

Piwo
Level 1
Level 1

Just to confirm : With Pagp the max number ports to form an Etherchannel should be 8 and with Lacp 16 (where 8 are active and the other 8 will be acting as backup ports)

However, in Packet Tracer it is possible to configure a port channel with no number of limit ports. See the picture attached where the port channel formed has 24 ports.

1-Is this a bug from PT?

2-Is it possible to have an interface configured for diferent group channels? How this works ?

Thank you all !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Piwo,

Just to confirm : With Pagp the max number ports to form an Etherchannel should be 8 and with Lacp 16 (where 8 are active and the other 8 will be acting as backup ports)

Correct. Truth be told, I have not yet seen a production network where the number or physical ports in a single Port-channel would be 8 or more; in fact, the highest number I usually see is 4. This is of course not to say that such deployments do not exist, but I would personally consider them to be quite rare.

However, in Packet Tracer it is possible to configure a port channel with no number of limit ports.

That is an imperfection in Packet Tracer. You have to keep in mind that Packet Tracer does not internally run IOS or faithfully emulate the hardware of routers and switches; it just mimics their behavior but there are limits to the accuracy of this simulation.

Is it possible to have an interface configured for diferent group channels?

No, this is not possible. A physical interface can be a member of at most one Port-channel. Two different Port-channels must use distinct physical interfaces.

Feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

Thank you a lot for your quick feedback and support Peter.
It was very helpful !

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Piwo,

Correct. Truth be told, I have not yet seen a production network where the number or physical ports in a single Port-channel would be 8 or more; in fact, the highest number I usually see is 4. This is of course not to say that such deployments do not exist, but I would personally consider them to be quite rare.

However, in Packet Tracer it is possible to configure a port channel with no number of limit ports.

That is an imperfection in Packet Tracer. You have to keep in mind that Packet Tracer does not internally run IOS or faithfully emulate the hardware of routers and switches; it just mimics their behavior but there are limits to the accuracy of this simulation.

Is it possible to have an interface configured for diferent group channels?

No, this is not possible. A physical interface can be a member of at most one Port-channel. Two different Port-channels must use distinct physical interfaces.

Feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

Thank you a lot for your quick feedback and support Peter.
It was very helpful !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card