cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel not SVI not pingable across WAN.

stein9700
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site that has 2 switch Ether channeled together.

Layer 3 Switch 1

1 WS-C3560V2-48PS 12.2(50)SE5

Layer 2 Switch 2

2 WS-C3550-48-SMI Version 12.2(37)SE

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Configuration: src-mac

Ports 1-4 on both sides are connected  Group Port-channel Protocol Ports 1 Po1(SU) LACP Fa0/1(P) Fa0/2(P) Fa0/3(P) Fa0/4(P)

When I try and ping the SVI from the firewall I get no reply, I of cource can ping it from the layer 3 as it is directly connected.

What is strange is I can ping through the ether channel with no issues, all devices on the layer 2 are reachable from the firewall.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In reading through the discussion I find there is one more thing to clarify. You comment that switch 1 default gateway was set incorrectly to 10.64.71.10 and that you changed it to 10.64.71.1. Technically you are probably correct that it was incorrectly set. (part of the confusion is that we have no idea what is at 10.64.71.10 or why that was set as default-gateway) But changing it to 10.64.71.1 is not a solution. That address is the IP of your vlan interface. And it makes no sense to try to set your default gateway to one of your own addresses. The default gateway is by definition an address that is remote to your device.

And as I explained in my previous response it really does not make any difference how the default-gateway is configured (or whether it is configured at all) when ip routing is enabled. When ip routing is enabled the switch will ignore whatever is configured as default-gateway and looks for a default route. You have a correct configured static default route and that is what is used on this switch.

Do not be confused that default gateway and default route look similar. They are, in fact, quite different. default gateway is used when the switch is operating in layer 2 mode and default route is used when the switch is operating in layer 3 mode.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight
I'm not 100% sure on what you are describing. Are you saying the Layer 2 switch has an SVI which is being used for "management" of the device? If so, do you have the ip default-gateway command configured on the L2 switch pointing back to the L3?

Ok let me clarify:

Firewall <=Layer 3 interface=> GTHICSWCDC01 <=Etherchannel layer 2=> GTHICSWCDC02 

GTHICSWCDC01 is a layer 3 switch Vlan678 10.64.71.1

GTHICSWCDC02 is a layer 2 switch Vlan678 10.64.71.50 

interface Vlan678
ip address 10.64.71.1 255.255.255.128
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables

From GTHICSWCDC01 I can ping GTHICSWCDC02 without issue.

From the Firewall I can ping GTHICSWCDC01 without issue.

From the Firewall I can't ping GTHICSWCDC02 vlan678 ip 10.64.71.50

From the Firewall I can ping everything connected to GTHICSWCDC02

thanks

Your layer-2 switch (GTHICSWCDC02) needs a default gateway pointing to the layer-3 switch IP.

ip default-gateway 10.64.71.1 

HTH

We are trying to diagnose a problem and to suggest solutions without having enough information from the original poster to be able to accurately understand the issue. The original poster has not provided details of how the firewall connects to the L3 switch. We are assuming that it is a routed link not in 10.64.71 but we have no details to confirm this. Assuming that this is true then it is necessary for the L2 switch to have configured an ip default-gateway. We are guessing that this has not been done but we lack details to confirm this. I agree with my colleagues that the most likely issue is that L2 switch does not have a default gateway configured. But it would be very helpful if the original poster would provide details (especially the config of the L2 switch) to allow us to verify our assumptions.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Attached is the config from both switches. Yes firewall is routed interface on GTHICSWCDC01 port1. 

Firewall interface 10.64.71.250

Routed interface 10.64.71.249.

As I just previously posted I noticed that GTHICSWCDC01 default gateway was wrong. Really not sure why it was set to ip  10.64.71.10. I have changed it to 10.64.71.1 but issue still persist.

Any insight would be great.

thanks

Thank you for posting the configs. I find them very helpful. They do demonstrate that switch 2 does have ip default-gateway configured to point to the upstream gateway. So much of our previous speculation was not on the mark. What the config does show is that ip routing is enabled. Your description of the environment was that switch 2 was a layer 2 switch. But enabling ip routing makes it a layer 3 functioning switch. And a layer 3 functioning switch may have ip default-gateway configured but it ignores it. I see no routes configured. If you do show ip route on switch 2 I am confident that it will indicate that it has a locally connected subnet but that there is no default route. So this is the real problem. We have a switch functioning as layer 3 but with no default route/no default gateway. To solve your issue you should either configure a static default route on switch 2 or you should disable ip routing (we do not know much about your network and therefore can not know if there is any good reason to have ip routing enabled on switch 2, but based on the very little that we do know I would suggest removing ip routing).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In reading through the discussion I find there is one more thing to clarify. You comment that switch 1 default gateway was set incorrectly to 10.64.71.10 and that you changed it to 10.64.71.1. Technically you are probably correct that it was incorrectly set. (part of the confusion is that we have no idea what is at 10.64.71.10 or why that was set as default-gateway) But changing it to 10.64.71.1 is not a solution. That address is the IP of your vlan interface. And it makes no sense to try to set your default gateway to one of your own addresses. The default gateway is by definition an address that is remote to your device.

And as I explained in my previous response it really does not make any difference how the default-gateway is configured (or whether it is configured at all) when ip routing is enabled. When ip routing is enabled the switch will ignore whatever is configured as default-gateway and looks for a default route. You have a correct configured static default route and that is what is used on this switch.

Do not be confused that default gateway and default route look similar. They are, in fact, quite different. default gateway is used when the switch is operating in layer 2 mode and default route is used when the switch is operating in layer 3 mode.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard,

So I did  a no ip routing and I can now ping the switch across the WAN. I total missed the that configuration, I was more focused on the Etherchannel configuration.

Since I still talk with my predecessor I'll ask him what he  was thinking!!

thanks

Thanks for letting us know that you now have it working. It is easy to miss a detail like ip routing, especially if you are focusing on the possibility that the issue involved Etherchannel. I am glad that our suggestions pointed you in the right direction. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants to identify discussions which have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Reza,

So my default gateway on GTHICSWCDC02 is set to 10.64.71.1 what I just noticed is that on GTHICSWCDC01 the default gateway is 10.64.71.10.

Not sure why my predecessor set it like that, only reason I posted this on the forums is that I could't get RANCID to back up the config on GTHICSWCDC02. Never thought to look at GTHICSWCDC01, this could explain some other anomalies I have seen at this site over the last year.

I'll change the gateway and review.

stein9700

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card