cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel

MK31
Level 1
Level 1

If a frame travels on this EtherChannel link, will it be transmitted over both Ethernet cables?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No a frame would not be transmitted over both cables. It would be transmitted on only one cable. The EtherChannel has logic to select which cable to use for a particular frame (applies to both layer 2 EtherChannel and layer 3 EtherChannel). There are several parameters that can be considered in making that choice and there are some configuration options available to alter which parameters are used in the decision.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per cisco :

EtherChannel reduces part of the binary pattern that the addresses in the frame form to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel in order to distribute frames across the links in a channel. EtherChannel Frames are forwarded over an EtherChannel link that is based on the results of a hashing algorithm. The algorithm is deterministic; if you use the same addresses and session information, you always hash to the same port in the channel. This method prevents out-of-order packet delivery.

Good reference document : ( i always use)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12023-4.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No a frame would not be transmitted over both cables. It would be transmitted on only one cable. The EtherChannel has logic to select which cable to use for a particular frame (applies to both layer 2 EtherChannel and layer 3 EtherChannel). There are several parameters that can be considered in making that choice and there are some configuration options available to alter which parameters are used in the decision.

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per cisco :

EtherChannel reduces part of the binary pattern that the addresses in the frame form to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel in order to distribute frames across the links in a channel. EtherChannel Frames are forwarded over an EtherChannel link that is based on the results of a hashing algorithm. The algorithm is deterministic; if you use the same addresses and session information, you always hash to the same port in the channel. This method prevents out-of-order packet delivery.

Good reference document : ( i always use)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12023-4.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

BTW although @balaji.bandi provides an excellent reference, be aware it's not current.

For example, doing a quick scan of the document, don't believe I noticed it mentioning that some (later) platforms have increased the size of the internal hash value to better distribute traffic across multiple links.

Or, I don't believe it addresses what happens if Etherchannel links are added or removed while traffic is using it.  (A frame will not be split across links, ever, but, I believe, a flow's packets might start using a different link.  The latter, if it happens, might result [briefly] in some out-of-order frame/packet delivery.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card