Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet switch issue in GNS3

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

I've tried to post this issue in the GNS3 support forum but i got no response from the developer himself which is the most shocking situation. So, i post this issue here hoping if someone experienced this issue before.

Although i am shy to post it, here is the KG1 scenario . I believe it is 100% a bug.

Simple as this ... I want to connect two PCs into a layer 2 switch in one VLAN. Also, a router is connected to that switch in the same VLAN. So, i connect PC1 and ping works from PC1 to router and from router to PC1, no issues.

ISSUE:

Whenever i connect PC2, ping doesn't work anymore from PC1 to router and from router to PC1. I examined the CAM table and noticed this strange behavior:

Router's mac address is learned on port 2 even though it is connected on port 3.

Because the router's mac address is learned on port 2 (not port 3), connectivity is lost from/to PC1.

I am using VMware's host virtual adapters (VMnet) along with GNS3.

Here is the technical connectivity: (See the circled portion of the scenario)

PC1 (VMnet2) ----------------> SW2's Port 1

PC2 (VMnet2) ----------------> SW2's Port 2

Branch Router ----------------> SW2's Port 3

VMnet2 Subnet: 192.168.2.0/24

As you see, the 3 devices are connected to the mentioned switch ports and all exist on 192.168.2.0/24 subnet. You will notice in the diagram that PC2 is not connected to SW2 because the issue starts when i connect PC2 so i leave it like this until i come up with a solution.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

AM

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Turbo,

Its looks buggy. You could try the following alternate way. Install the VMware server/clinet with valid software image and then map the vmnet to respective vmware client software and configure it to be like system. I usually use for multicast issues and it works awesome for me. You could give it a try.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Hi Inayath,

Thank you for your kind reply.

I confirm from other posts in GNS3 forum that it is a bug as i expected. In addition to your alternative way, i used another way too. I got this idea of using a router with NM-16ESW module installed to act as a switch and all are working great now.

Thx for your help.

Regards,

AM

tolqabaqci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

It is possible to use a more compatible Layer 3 Switch in the GNS3 program and it works very well. You can add L3 Switch to the GNS3 program from the following source.

GNS3 Layer 3 Switch

Respects

SYSNETTECH Solutions
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card