Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend L2 VLAN between two different locations

abimadaro4462
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have two sites are connected together through fiber, OSPF is configured on both core switches, now the problem is; I have VLAN needs to configured on both sites

Site A: VLAN 10, SVI 10.10.10.1

Site B: VLAN 10, SVI 10.10.10.2 

I can reach only one site although the VLAN has been allowed in the trunk between both sites.

Problem description;

From site A I can reach servers in site A (ex. 10.10.10.3) and from Site B i can reach (ex. 10.10.10.4) but from Site A i'm not able to reach 10.10.10.4 in site B, and even the SVI on site B is not reachable from Site A, now when i shutdown the SVI on Site A, Site B became reachable from Site A due to passing through OSPF as a L3 but site A became unreachable from Site B. 

Any advice please?

19 Replies 19

Correct i have directly connected fiber through backbone. the routing protocol itself is configured for another purpose a lot of networks are available behind both core switches, but this is the only case where we had to extend L2 VLAN between both sites. Although backbone is configured as a trunk still no connectivity between both sites.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your configuration looks okay and I understand what you are trying to do. 

What are the default gateway settings for servers in vlan 10 in both sites  ? 

When you say you cannot reach them where are you pinging from ? 

Are there any acls etc. applied anywhere ?

Jon 

No ACLs are configured, as for the gateway of servers;
Servers in Site B 10.10.10.2
Servers in Site A 10.10.10.1

as for ping, when i'm trying to ping GW of site B from site A is not reachable and vise versa 

Ping from where ie. the vlan 10 subnet as source IP or one of the other subnets. 

Are all the subnets seen in OSPF routing tables on each site ? 

Jon

Apologies if this is winding the clock back in the conversation - I've had this on a site where the link provided was suppressing any 802.1q traffic - so a single VLAN, no issue. Try a native VLAN plus a tagged one... only the native was passed.

So - is the intersite link Layer 2 or Layer 3?

If it's L2 - is it 802.1q capable? - if it's not 802.1q-capable, can you get the service provider to make it 802.1q-capable? If not then you might need to consider doing something esoteric & messy like use the L2 link to run a VPN tunnel over it and trunk everything within the VPN tunnel (or go to a supplier that can give you an 802.1q-capable link)

If it's a L3 link - I'd be tempted to run a P2P VPN tunnel over the link just so I could extend the layer 2 through it - but it's still messy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card