cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

extend signal over fiber

witkopstaub
Level 1
Level 1

linked a 62.5 multimode fiber run that is well over 1000 feet. The total run goes through about 5 break points that are passive. I'm using fiber cables to couple the break points together. Based on standards I should not be able to connect 2 switches on both ends since it is 1000+ long. I'm wondering if I would get away with adding an old switch with gbit ports about 1/2 way at the break point to clean up the signal. Seems to me the process of entering the switch and then exiting again would convert and clean up the signal?

Note - I only need this to be a temp solution until next year when we are running all new fiber.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you are going over 1000 feet then you need a switch somewhere in the middle. If you have any 50U, you can go up to about 1500 feet using Gig.

HTH

My main concern is if the switch will actually clean or boost the signal so it makes it the full distance?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A switch will "consume" the original frame on the ingress port and generate a new "identical" frame on the egress port, so if those two segments are within distance specs, it should work fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card