Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extract firmware 3.3.0SE from Catalyst 385 to install in another one

Hi guys

Thanks all again for your help...

Any recommendations for extracting this software version already installed in Catalyst 3850+ and needing to install in another same Catalyst 3850+ who is running a different version. Tried to sync them across and auto update as well but not working for some reasons. Thanks!

10 Replies 10

Hello!

You can download it from cisco software:
https://software.cisco.com/
But the image you are refering to is really old (2016), I would rather recommend you to upgrade to a newer one. The recommended being 16.12.X. You can do a direct upgrade to the new one.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

hi thanks

this version is not available at the moment

and we cannot update it for compatibility issues with systems we are running at the moment. so it has to be that one.

that is why I was looking at if there is a way just to copy that image on a usb stick for exemple and transferring/loading it to the other swithch still via the usb

thanks

You can also check it the existing switch has the image still in flash, with the command:
show flash: | i .bin

And the copy it to a usb and the the other switch.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

thanks how do you the command to export that image to the USB stick ?

and then to load it to the other switch?

thanks!

I only can see the cat3k_caa-base.SPA.03.03.00SE.pkg

not the .bin

Hello @pdenableetoavit19698,

Don't forget to check md5 checksum file when uploaded on your other C3850 and compare the result.

Example:

#verify /md5 flash: cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.09.SPA.bin

Same result = file not alterated. As this file is passed MD5 checksum verification means it is safe to start upgrading.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

there exists an "archive upload-sw" command (recursive from archive download-sw)

but there are some bugs, so no quarantees this will work:

Catalyst 3550 "archive upload-sw" command - Cisco Community

CSCdy22756 - archive upload-sw causes switch to crash and reload

Currently it is an internal bug so you will not be able to view the notes for this bug. It looks like this bug has not been resolved yet because the problem was unreproducible. If you can reproduce this problem, I would suggest opening a TAC case so that you can gather the necessary information for the DE's to resolve this problem.

@pieterh wrote:
there exists an "archive upload-sw" command (recursive from archive download-sw)

This is a switch that runs on IOS-XE and, sadly, does not support "archive download-sw" command.

try archive tar /create   then copy .tar file to network or USB

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.06
switch #archive tar ?
/create create a tar file
/table List files in tar file
/xtract Extract files in tar file

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Put the replacement switch back into the stack and then do the following: 

conf t
 software auto-upgrade enable