Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover suggestion

Jamir21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to ask for any suggestion for automatic failover of our network.

IPsec>>>Core2>> L2Switch>>>L2switch>>> Two Core1 VSS switches>>> MPLS router.

Core2 do not have a connection to the MPLS directly, and is only connected via Core1. We would like to setup automatic failover of Core2 network to IPsec once the Core1 network is down. IP SLA is not possible due to IOS of Core2 switch. Appreciate for any help.

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are you using a dynamic routing protocol? If so, if primary path fails, traffic should be rerouted to secondary path.

yes. that is what we are planning. EIGRP for primary route and static route with higher metric (lower preference) for backup to the IPSEC router right?

You're planning (?) a floating static, which might work. I, though, had in mind the same dynamic routing protocol on both paths.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Cisco IPSLA or Dynamic routing can help you to archive this goal.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

IP SLA is not possible due to IOS cannot support this feature. What is better OSPF or EIGRP for dynamic routing?

Hello Deepak,

According to my knowledge

Cisco IPSLA is used for monitoring the network performance. How it can be utilized for routing the traffic.

I never configure it.

Thanks   

Jamir21
Level 1
Level 1

Is dynamic routing still possible if the trunk from Core1 switch connecting to our L2switch is port-channel and the port from Core2 switch is on Vlan?

Yes, it is

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Setup is Core is configured Port-channel10  10.100.200.1 is connected to inter-link switches (10.100.200.6 and 10.100.200.7)  connected to  Core2 configured under Vlan227 10.100.227.6. Is this possible to form neighbor? Core1 is set on port channel and Core2 is set on Vlan?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card