cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FET-10G vs. SFP-10G-SR

chandlersb
Level 1
Level 1

In  Nexus switches, does the transceivers have to be the same on both ends in order for the connection to work?  Matter of fact, in any Cisco switch, does the transceivers have to be the same on both ends in order for the connection to work?    

4 Replies 4

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

I can't say that I have ever tried to intermix them. It may work, but table B-12 on this document (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/hw/nexus7000/installation/guide/n7k_connect_specs.pdf
) shows that although the optics use the same wavelength the two optics do not push the same distance over the same fiber. As such, the power of the to optics is not the same and I would not trust them to form any kind stable connection.

The connections are up using a FET-10G and a SFP-10G-SR.  I just thought to use best practices you need to have the same transceivers on both ends.  I also agree on what you said about stability of the connection.  Good info!!!!  Thanks Gregory.

This shouldn't be an issue, as I've seen customers do it all the time and I've done it in the lab.  There is some limitation on distance with the FET-10G vs 10-SR. Also the FET can ONLY be used to connect a N2K to either a N5K or N7K

Hello:

10GB FETs are limited in distance as copper cabling is 100 meters, the issue is that the FET 10 are made ​​exclusively to work with Nexus 2000, and when you put on the chassis hardware brand failed unless you put the command (mode FEX).

What it can do on a FEX is to fet10 ends and another link-10gb-sr sfp at the ends and work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card