cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Filtering traffic to hosts in one vlan from other hosts in other vlans?

ShaunR
Level 1
Level 1

Pretty straight forward network design. One "core" 3750 switch with multiple vlans trunked to many other 2960G switches with their ports assigned to the vlans they need to be in.

* vlan99 has a private range of 10.0.0.1/24 assigned to it.

* All other vlans have private or public ranges assigned to them.

* Only allow traffic from 200.0.0.72/29 to access the devices in vlan99.

I need to deny all traffic destined to hosts within vlan99 unless I permit access. This includes blocking traffic from other hosts in different vlans. In this case I'm trying to allow traffic from 200.0.0.72/29.

It seams like a VACLis the solution to my problem but I've been unable to make them work as I would expect. Here's what I have...

# Core Switch

vlan access-map vlan99 10

action forward

match ip address 99

vlan access-map vlan99 20

action drop

!

vlan filter vlan99 vlan-list 99

!

access-list 99 permit 200.0.0.72 0.0.0.7

So far this seams to block all traffic, even from the range I think I allowed.

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a reason why you are using VACL rather than a regular extended access list applied with access-group. That seems to me to be more straight forward and would accomplish the filtering that you describe.

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Are you meaning to assigning an ACL to the vlan99 like 'ip access-group 101 in'?

I did do that an although it did seam to filter traffic what I noticed was when doing a simple ping to one of the devices the response I received was filtered. I'd prefer the response to be the same as if they device was not connected.

Yes I am suggesting an extended access list applied with access-group. Whether it is applied in or out depends on how you configure the access list. Given the little that we know about your environment and given this statement of requirements "Only allow traffic from 200.0.0.72/29 to access the devices in vlan99."  it seems to me to be preferable to assign it as out, but in could certainly work assigned as in. It might look something like this

access-list 101 permit ip 200.0.0.72 0.0.0.248 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

interface vlan 99

ip access-group 101 out

I am not clear what you are saying about ping and about filtering. Was the ping sourced from 200.0.0.72 subnet or sourced from somewhere else? Can you help me understand this better?

This also makes me think about another aspect of this discussion. Your requirement was a restriction on what addresses could access 10.0.0.0/24. Do you want 10.0.0.0/24 to be able to access other subnets? What I have suggested would not do that.

HTH

Rick

This is what I'm talking about when doing that. Maybe it's not that big of a deal but to me that response shows that a host does live their and I don't like that  

# Config

interface Vlan99

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

ip access-group vlan99-out out

!

ip access-list extended vlan99-out
permit ip 200.0.0.72 0.0.0.7 any
deny ip any any log
!

# ping output using ping on a Linux machine, first reply is without the acl, second is the response after it's been applied.

64 bytes from 10.0.0.120: icmp_seq=1440 ttl=254 time=0.897 ms
From 200.0.0.171 icmp_seq=1441 Packet filtered
From 200.0.0.171 icmp_seq=1442 Packet filtered

Thanks for the additional information. What IP address is the source of this ping? What is 200.0.0.171? To deal with notifications try this

interface vlan 99

no ip unreachable

HTH

Rick

200.0.0.171 is the primary IP assigned to the vlan that the linux machine is pinging from.

Source of the ping is from a secondary IP range assigned to the same vlan that linux machine is pining from.  The linux machine is getting it's ip from that secondary range.

no ip unreachable on vlan99 doesn't change anything.

Without more context the IP information is not as helpful as I had thought it might be. Surprised that no ip unreachable did not change anything. Perhaps needs to be applied on the interface which is used to reach 200.0.0.171 rather than on the vlan 99 interface.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card