Views
Helpful
Replies

Forgot SSH Username on 2950 Switch

bob.mckinley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've done two very stupid things, first I didn't make an offline backup of my configuration of recently added switch, 2950, and two, I have forgotten the username that I setup for SSH access into that switch. (I did prevent telnet access as well.)

I'm pretty postive I know what the password is, at least narrowed down to few possibly but obviously with out the username I'm dead in the water.  I was hoping somone may have a suggestion that would help me recovery the SSH username without having to blow away my configuration and start over.

I did come across this:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml, however it seems to be more for password recovery, but before I went through all that I wanted to confirm that first I'm not going to lose my configuration and two it will work in the same manner of recoverying.

Thanks,

Bob

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bob

Can you not just use console access to look at the config ? You would need console access anyway for the password recovery procedure.

If you don't actually know the passwords for console access then yes you need to use password recovery as in the link you provided. You won't lose your existing configuration and it wil allow you to get into the running config where you can reset your password and view the ssh username.

Jon

I cannot get into the console either, access for vty 0 4 is set for ssh as well..

Bob

Then you need to use the password recovery as desribed in the doc you linked to.

Jon

Thanks Jon..

Hi,

vty  lines are not console lines and ssh/telnet is used for vty lines not console lines.

I suppose you meant you also forgot your line console password or configured it for local authentication with the same username.

Regards.

alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Follow the password recovery instructions, if  followed correctly you will not lose your configs . When following password recovery it will boot a default config without the startup config , then you just do a copy start runn command which loads your config into running config and you can change anything you want in the config and save it .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card