cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

forwarding by flow? (vs packet)

slug420
Level 1
Level 1

Can layer 3 switches/routers make forwarding decisions on a flow by flow basis as opposed to packet by packet?  For example if I have two cross-connected dist switches and two cross-connected core switches with "full mesh" layer 3 connectivity between them (using something like OSPF) I want to avoid asymmetric routing.

By "full mesh" I mean:

given Dist sw/rtr A and B (cross connected)

and Core sw/rtr A and B (cross connected)

Dist A has one connection to Core A and one to Core B

Dist B has one connection to Core A and one to Core B

In the following diagram the two devices on the top are Core and the two on bottom are Dist (or vice versa).

4connectmesh.jpg

3 Replies 3

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Actually correct me if I am wrong but STP will block some paths and that should take care of that too.

these are layer 3 connections, so no STP

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe Cisco L3 switches, will by default, route per flow.  (Also true for true Cisco software routers running later IOS versions.)

As to avoid asymmetrical routing, you would need to cost routes such that a particular destination would also take the same path.  As, again, Cisco L3 devices generally route all packets of the same flow along the same path (in one direction), multipath isn't normally an issue except for "stateful" packet monitoring watching for returned packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco