cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC compatability question

john.wadkin
Level 1
Level 1

I've inherited a network. It looks to have been setup as 10/100 originally, using Netgear FSM726S switches with fibre connecting the switches. The fibre to copper conversion is mainly achieved with 10/100 media convertors rather than GBICs - not sure why - though there are some GBICs in use. Some of the "key" switches have been upgraded to Cisco Catalyst 2960G switches, but nothing else has been touched, so most of the network still runs at 100MB.

I'm a bit lacking in practical knowledge of networking - I get the theory, pretty much, but applying it is where it becomes fuzzy

Few questions...

Can I just move the GBICs from the Netgear to the Cisco? They're Netgear GBICs 1000 BASE-SX

If not, do I have to buy Cisco GBICs - what would I be looking for in terms of compatability?

The patch fibre cables are orange, which I believe denotes multimode? Yellow would be single mode, and the two cannot be mixed?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Hi john,

Q1) Can I just move the GBICs from the Netgear to the Cisco? They're Netgear GBICs 1000 BASE-SX

A1) In a real time environment I would never suggest to do so, problems occuruing in future, even if the device detects are horrible.(devices will go crazy some times)

Q2) If not, do I have to buy Cisco GBICs

A2) Yes you have to buy them.

Q3) What would I be looking for in terms of compatability?

A3) You can look in to the links below,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080a70cda.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

You can also contact Cisco Vendors for the better solution. Please rate if you find info provided is helpful.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card