Views
Helpful
Replies

hairpin

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Experts,

Can anybody explain me what is this hairpin connection ?

What are the things which can not be achieved without hairpin...I mean here to explain hairpin in detail.

Sharing some good document will also fine for me.

Unfortunately i come across this topic very later...:(

Regards # mahesh                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mahesh,

I found some info, here it is:

The term hairpinning comes from the fact that the traffic comes from one source into a router or similar devices, makes a U-turn and goes back the same way it came.

Visualize this and you see something that looks like a hairpin.

Hairpin NAT is a useful technique for accessing an internal server using a public IP. Since you are using a public IP to attempt to access a server in your network, the traffic will attempt to go out to the internet. In order to reach the server, the traffic will need to be redirected to the correct location.

In VOIP, hairpin (or hairpining) is the means to send a call back in the direction that it came from. If a call cannot be routed over IP to a gateway that is closer to the target telephone, the call typically is sent back out the local zone the same way from which it came.

Please rate helpful posts

Regards

Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Mahesh,

In short what I found is

NAT should support hairpin connections, using the external address and port

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_7-3/anatomy.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/asdm64/configuration_guide/nat_overview.html

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Hi Muhamad,

Thanks for answer but need more generic details.

Regards # Mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

I found some info, here it is:

The term hairpinning comes from the fact that the traffic comes from one source into a router or similar devices, makes a U-turn and goes back the same way it came.

Visualize this and you see something that looks like a hairpin.

Hairpin NAT is a useful technique for accessing an internal server using a public IP. Since you are using a public IP to attempt to access a server in your network, the traffic will attempt to go out to the internet. In order to reach the server, the traffic will need to be redirected to the correct location.

In VOIP, hairpin (or hairpining) is the means to send a call back in the direction that it came from. If a call cannot be routed over IP to a gateway that is closer to the target telephone, the call typically is sent back out the local zone the same way from which it came.

Please rate helpful posts

Regards

Thanveer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: