cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Has anyone deployed MPLS on 6500 Sup 2-T using VSS?

cbeswick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are planning to deploy a new campus network comprising of a Core (Nexus 7K), 2 client aggregation modules (Catalyst 6500 /w Sup-2T VSS) and a single Data Centre module (Nexus 7k).

MPLS is being deployed to provide segregation of services. Now in a traditional MPLS campus deployment, we would have a pair of Core switches performing the P, or LSR function, and the aggregation devices each performing the role of the PE, or LER. Load balancing would be achieved by using different RDs for each PE.

In the world of VSS however we obviously change this model, with a pair of PE switches appearing as "one" to the Core or P node. In this scenario we would just use the one RD and use a Layer-3 Port channel from the VSS node to each P node to provide the resilience.

I have read a few posts about this type of deployment and the general consensus seems to be sticking with a non VSS deployment, mainly for simplicity and the ability to have greater visibility into what is going on under the hood.

Has anyone deployed MPLS using VSS ? Does anyone have any views or recommendations as to why one would choose one particular method over the other ?

I think my personal preference will be to go non VSS, then at least we have the same configuration across all aggregation modules (Nexus / Catalyst).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

I have actually deployed MPLS using VSS and have not seen any issues. If you are planning to use the 6500 as the aggregation layer, VSS will eliminated spanning tree, VRRP, HSRP, etc... and provides sub-second fail over in comparison to VRRP or HSRP. If your access layer devices are not going to be dually uplinked, then there is no need for VSS.

If you use VSS, you would need to use Portchannel to uplink your 6500 to your core devices. MPLS is supported in both IP Services and Advances Enterprise images.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card