Views
Helpful
Replies

Heat Dissipation of Catalyst 9300 Network Switch

Junaid.Atta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Technical Team,

We have one Cisco Catalyst 9300 Network Switch Model C9300-48-P with C9300-NM-8X and PWR-C1-715WAC-P/2 (Redundant power supply). I need to know what will be the heat dissipation from this switch if it is 85% POE loaded, all POE devices will be installed outside the network cabinet.

Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches Hardware Installation Guide - Technical Specifications [Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches] - Cisco

According to the datasheet, the total output power is 2440 BTUs per hour for a single PWR-C1-715WAC-P/2.

Questions:

1) Total output power is the same as heat dissipation? Yes or No? If Yes

2) Shall I add twice this number to get total heat dissipation for redundant configuration or a single PSU output power will be used in total heat dissipation calculations?

3) If the answer to the first question is No then please advise how the total heat dissipation can be calculated.

Regards,

Junaid Atta

@Georg Pauwen @balaji.bandi 

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a 48-port PoE switch.  715w is not enough.  Look at the value of the 1100w power supply and double the value.  That is the heat generated.

Thanks for the feedback but my original question is still not answered.

Below are my questions, added 4th question.

1) Total output power is the same as heat dissipation? Yes or No? If Yes

2) Shall I add twice this number to get total heat dissipation for redundant configuration or a single PSU output power will be used in total heat dissipation calculations?

3) If the answer to the first question is No then please advise how the total heat dissipation can be calculated.

4) Which tool does Cisco use to calculated heat dissipation? How I can get access to that?

Regards,

Junaid Atta

@Junaid.Atta wrote:

4) Which tool does Cisco use to calculated heat dissipation? How I can get access to that?

Liteon is the OEM for the power supplies and they supply the BTU values to manufactures.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card