cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Me with Policing configuration

ShafiKappu
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1 Mbps link with below policing configurations and Please clarrify below points.

1. Please help me to understand why we need a "exceed-action drop " command after police command because policer by default its drops the packets. 

2. If link is not congested then how much bandwidth will take by my MAIL & PROXY

policy-map BW_RESTRICTION

class MAIL_PROXY

police cir percent 30

exceed-action drop

class AV_SHAPING

police cir percent 10

exceed-action drop

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Police works discarding packets if they are exceeding the CIR, now Police allow a little burst if it exceed the bandwidth allowed, if you don't specify it will create an automatic burst. Now the exceed-action drop will drop packets if it is exceeded. This is a way to avoid consumpt more of the bandwidth granted. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
#1 If exceed drop is the default, then you shouldn't need to add it, although sometimes entering a statement w/o defaults will have the defaults show in the config.
#2 The policers, with the exceed drop, will always limit the traffic to the specified rate regardless of interface congestion.

Hi

Police works discarding packets if they are exceeding the CIR, now Police allow a little burst if it exceed the bandwidth allowed, if you don't specify it will create an automatic burst. Now the exceed-action drop will drop packets if it is exceeded. This is a way to avoid consumpt more of the bandwidth granted. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card