cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with extending VLAN

EMEsin
Level 1
Level 1

I’m not a networking expert so wondering if some one can help with an issue I have got.

Device is a “Cisco SG300-20 gigabit managed switch”

On this switch we have a VLAN’s set up and one of them is dedicated to external internet traffic. Like a DMZ

We have run out of ports on this VLAN but have some spare on the switch which are not included in this VLAN so I would like to include them.

Ports 2,3,4 are included and I would also like to include ports 5 and 6.

From the GUI interface, under VLAN Management --> Port to VLAN, Port 5 and 6 have been included, membership type is “untagged” PVID is ticked (same as port 2,3,4)

From the Getting started menu --> System Summary, where the picture of the switch is shown, I click on the port 5 and copy settings from port 3. Setting for “Administration status is changed to “up” (same is done with port 6)

Port 3 has a wireless access point plugged in to it, green lights on port 3 are flashing as expected. However after carrying out the procedure above the Access point does not work when plugged in to port 5 and there are no green lights flashing.

Settings have been applied and then saved to the start up configuration.

Am I missing something out?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Like @Reza Sharifi I am not familiar with this switch and so am not sure how to describe what we want, but it is about the interface configurations and vlan membership. Would you be able to post some screen shots showing configuration and vlan membership for port 3 and for ports 5 and 6?

While I am not optimistic that reboot will fix things it certainly would not hurt to reboot, and there is some chance that it might reset something that could help. So I suggest that you do try a reboot.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I am not familiar with this type of switch, but it appears that you have done everything right. Do you have the same exact issue when you plug the AP into port 6? Also, while the AP is connected to port 5 or 6, can you shut down the port manually and then bring it back online and test again?

HTT

Port 6 didn’t work either.
I actually activated port 6 thinking port 5 may be dead, got the same result with that too.
Does the switch need a reboot for settings to take effect ?

Thanks for taking the time to look in to this.

EMEsin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Any further thoughts on this? Is it worth trying to reboot the switch?

Like @Reza Sharifi I am not familiar with this switch and so am not sure how to describe what we want, but it is about the interface configurations and vlan membership. Would you be able to post some screen shots showing configuration and vlan membership for port 3 and for ports 5 and 6?

While I am not optimistic that reboot will fix things it certainly would not hurt to reboot, and there is some chance that it might reset something that could help. So I suggest that you do try a reboot.

HTH

Rick

Finally found some down time to restart the switch. It actually did the trick.

Now I can change the VLANs while the switch is still up so looks like it just needed a little reset of some sort.

Thank you for your assistance - Much appreciated.

Glad to know, it is all working for you now!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card