cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How could I add new stack switch ,without reboot and some stack question , Thanks

Ethan and Mia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all , I never add new stack switch to running system  

now I have   Switch1 and Switch2    9300 switch running  stacked

Switch1 Active module 1

Switch2 Member module 2

Switch 3 I want add this to Member module 3(Now it shown himself module2/x/x )

How can I add switch 3 to Member with the safe way (no needreboot) and  Can I change it from module 2 to 3 ?

so I only have 2 stackwise can I connect like the picture belew 

stack2.jpg

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where is the stacking cable connecting Switch C to Switch A?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure to follow Stacking guidelines. the same model, same IOS, change the switch number and priority.

yes, it works, but you like rack ring topology you need to make ring look at the below document how the ring can be connected.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig/b_c9300_hig_chapter_010.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

From the picture, looks like cables are not correctly connected; shutdown Sw B, connect left to right port, power on Sw B; wait until sw B joins sw 1; then connect cable and power on sw C,

no reboot would be necessary if you had 2 switches connected properly in X form.  as you keep at least half-ring connection, switch will not reboot itself.  Reboot is needed in order to renumber switches.  Top sw is always number 1.

you should have ring topology (2 switches with 2 cables in X connection); while 3 switches will have 3 cables (going left to right and right port of sw 1 all the way to left of a last sw in stack)

if you have 2 cables for 3 switches it will still work at half-ring topology (half-speed) but cables must be going from left to right. "missing" 3rd cable should go from sw 1 to  sw3.  you should add it later for redundancy   and speed.

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HERE is a picture of the recommended stacking method.

And THIS is what you're attempting to do -- which is NOT recommended because there is no redundancy.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card