Views
Helpful
Replies

How is the Switching Capacity of C9400?

jgossens
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Community,

since a few hours colleagues of mine and me are discussing how the switching rate of the Catalyst 9400 Chassis is calculated.

In the data sheet it states that "up to 9.2 Tbps" can be reached, but nowhere is explained how this number is derived. My assumption is that a maximum of 480 Gbps per slot are possible (even though no line card exists that could deliver this) and that therefore, in the 10-slot chassis, 10 * 480 = 4.8 Tbps are possible. If we double this because full-duplex can be used, we end up with 9.6 Tbps.

What is wrong with my calculation that I end up with 400Gbps more than theoretically possible?

Kind regards,

Jan

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It could be 460 Gbps per slot.
So like previous chassis-based systems, the line cards and the supervisor cards can be upgraded without swapping out the chassis. And upgrading later for a supervisor card and associated line cards that can support 460 Gbps is still "in development".

Hi Leo,

thank you very much for your answer. If 460 Gbps per slot are available in the chassis, the calculation would make perfect sense. However, how do you come up with this number? If I look at the data sheet I clearly see only 480 mentioned:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card