cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How protect loop in hub..

logeshwaran
Level 1
Level 1

one managed switch is connected to the hub or unmanaged switch, and in that hub - two-port has connected together with an Ethernet cable.

In hub - it does not participate in the STP process ---its correct or not... like unmanaged switch also.....

it causes the loop in the existing network or not.,

how?...

kindly explain to me... briefly pls....

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you need Two connection to HUB ? what is the reason, yes it will create a Loop (rather complicating the STP)

we would like to understand the requirement, make sure you only have 1 uplink connected from HUB to switch ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

bro,

From switch to hub has one connection only.... i ask that in hub it self,,,

some port are connected together in hub, it cause loop or not....

@logeshwaran wrote:

some port are connected together in hub, it cause loop or not....

It can because some "switches" cannot disable STP.  

ok, i will agree that.....

how to prevent that looping in HUB,.....

we can configure any commands, to prevent the loop in access port of management switches.

@logeshwaran wrote:

ok, i will agree that.....

how to prevent that looping in HUB,.....

we can configure any commands, to prevent the loop in access port of management switches.

How?  How do you know there is a hub in the network?  You won't until a loop occurs.  Not when the switch infrastructure is made up of unmanaged switches.

There is no way to stop people from plugging a hub in that kind of network.  

Let's be realistic:  Whether the network is made of unmanaged switches or not, answer this question:  What motivates users to bring in a hub to work?  
Answer, the answer is the word "no".  This is what they get when they ask for more desk ports.  

If management is quick to put more ports on the desk, people will stop bringing in hubs.  Why?  Because hubs are 10/Half vs 100/Full.  

Sorry for the confusions, my question is i am having a network setup with 1 managed switch and 1 unmanaged switch.

I need to prevent/avoid loop in the managed switch when there is a network loop in the unmanaged switch.

The connectivity is a single link between managed and unmanaged switch.

When there is a loop in my unmanaged switch i need to block/prevent/avoid that from passing it the managed switch and enters into my network.

I have enabled STP in my managed switch.

When you connect like that, you will have lot of broacast traffic all over. we are in 22 century,if you like the network to work as expect, just change the Hub to decent switch, which you can imrove services.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

BPDU guard will prevent loop, when SW see BPDU it will err-disable port.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you connect two ports within the same hub, yes, you'll create a loop within that hub.  Further the upstream "managed" switch, although running STP, will pass traffic from that hub, as it would otherwise do, possibly flooding the whole L2 domain with traffic from that hub.

BTW, this is why it's generally recommend, to keep STP enable on all switches, even when there are no "planned" (i.e. redundant) paths, because someone can then loop on the same switch or between switches "accidentally".

BTW minimizing the impact of L2 loops, is one of the attractive features of doing L3 to the edge devices.

I am somewhat confused about this discussion. Part of the discussion seems to be based on having a hub in the network. And other parts of the discussion are based on having an unmanaged switch. So let me discuss both situations:

If connected to a hub: A hub does not participate in spanning tree. So if 2 ports of the hub are connected to each other there will be a loop. Most of the impact of the loop will be on the hub. Assuming that the hub has a single connection to the managed switch there will not be a loop on the switch. But there will be some impact from the loop on the hub. Each Ethernet frame forwarded from the hub to the managed switch will be forwarded by the switch. If all the switch ports are in the same vlan then there will be elevated traffic levels on the switch ports. If the switch port connecting to the hub is in a vlan different from the other switch ports then the only switch port impacted will be the port connecting to the hub.

If connected to an unmanaged switch: It is possible that the unmanaged switch does implement spanning tree. In this case if 2 ports are connected to each other then spanning tree will detect the loop and disable a port to prevent the loop. So no impact. If the unmanaged switch does not implement spanning tree then the behavior is like what I described for a hub.

HTH

Rick

"If connected to an unmanaged switch: It is possible that the unmanaged switch does implement spanning tree."

Personally, I'm unaware of any unmanaged switch supporting STP, but in theory, an unmanaged switch could be built supporting STP, although without management, does raise the issue of how you configure STP for operation in conjunction with other STP switches.

Without STP, though, switch will behave much the same as a hub, just as Rick notes although a switch doesn't flood all received frames to all its other ports, unconditionally, as does a hub.  (As hubs are half duplex, looping frames will generally cause lots and lots of collisions, often effectively bringing useful traffic to a standstill.)

"If all the switch ports are in the same vlan then there will be elevated traffic levels on the switch ports."

Perhaps not, likely yes.  Much depends on content of looped frame(s), as the upstream managed switch will still process the ingress traffic (from the hub or unmanaged/no-STP switch) as it would otherwise do.  Unfortunately, just one broadcast frame, being looped, will cause the elevated traffic level (possibly to full bandwidth from looping hub/switch connection to upstream switch) noted by Rick and myself.  Also, something like a looping broadcast frame, will be accepted for examination by all receiving hosts.  (In such a case, all hosts within same L2 domain (like a VLAN, as noted by Rick) will be impacted to such a degree, generally those hosts will be network useless until you break the loop.)

"In this case if 2 ports are connected to each other then spanning tree will detect the loop and disable a port to prevent the loop."

Actually, it might be better to note the interface closing the loop will usually be "blocked" not really disabled (assuming the latter implies more of a permanent breakage).  For example, if you remove the other end connection that also leads to the loop, the port that was blocked will be unblocked.

BTW, on Cisco switches that support portfast, I've read, it's possible for a looped connection to cause so much havoc, so quickly, that the switch won't be able to "block" the loop it allowed.  (I.e. w/o portfast, STP should insure no loop will be created.  With portfast, we hope the switch will detect an "active" loop and then block it.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card