cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Connect Cisco Router to Internet Modem??

sonikasingh
Level 1
Level 1

***Router Toll Free Number 1888-828-6821****

Hello, ok so ive tried everything on how to get the router working but I havent been able to so this is my last resort. I have a Cisco G Broadband Router WRT54G2 model. I get my internet through a Motorola modem that I have. When I try to connect my Windows Vista laptop to the Cisco router and then the router to the modem, I dont get interent access at all. Ive asked my teacher whos a technician to help me set the settings but the settings dont seem to work.

What I've Tried To Resolve Cisco Router Not Connection To Modem

• A full reset and factory reset on the E4200
  • A full reset on the modem (but I believe my ISP has remote access to the modem because the passwords and so on are always set back).
  • My ISP has remotely reconfigured the modem

What I Should Try To Resolve Cisco Router Not Connection To Modem

What else can I try? What should I do to try to narrow down the issue? Can you figure out what the problem might be based on this information?

Plz, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

1 Reply 1

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1- Connect your laptop directly to the ISP modem and verify you have Internet access that way. If so, write down the IP address if gave you. (I am assuming it is via DHCP)

2- Connect the Internet port of the Cisco router to the modem and verify you get a link lights (if available)

3- Connect your laptop to one of the Cisco's 4 Ethernet ports and verify you get an IP address from the Cisco (probably 192.168.1.x) and make sure you can ping the default gateway, which should be the Cisco router.

4- Log into the Cisco router and check to see if it is getting an IP address from the ISP. If it isn't that is where you need to start and figure out why. If it is, use the ping utility and verify the Cisco can ping its default gateway which would be the ISP.

When you have gotten this far, report back and we can take it from there.

Also, here's the link for the manual for that router that I referenced for this reply:

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224642019596/WRT54G2_V15_UG_NC-WEB.pdf

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: