Views
Helpful
Replies

how to copy the confi from 2900 series to another one

LAAsm2012b
Level 1
Level 1

I know we can use copy & Paste, my questions are:

1.       Before that, do I need to wipe out the existing confi on the brand new switch?

2.       About using TFTP, how does this new switch connects to the TFTP? Does it mean I have to assign a real IP and put it on our network? More details, pls

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6
  • •1.       Before that, do I need to wipe out the existing confi on the brand new switch?

Answer:  I always ersase the default configuration on the switch by doing "er startup" and then reloading the switch

• •2.       About  using TFTP, how does this new switch connects to the TFTP? Does it mean  I have to assign a real IP and put it on our network? More details, pls

Answer: Multiple ways you can use test network, you can assign it a static IP on the network and move the config from the other switch to this one or let it grab an IP from the DHCP and then move the config from the other switch to this one.  You can simply setup the other switch you are replacing as a tftp server to copy the config to the new switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Are you wanting to completely replace the configuration with another one? If so, you can tftp your config to the startup config and reload the router. You'll have the new config.

2. TFTP would require an address on the device. You have to run a tftp server (I use tftpd32 in Windows). You'll copy the config from the tftp server (the configuration text file will be on your box) from the router:

copy tftp://192.168.1.50/new-configuration.txt startup

It will ask you a couple of questions and you'll see it start copying the file....

WARNING: If you tftp the config over the startup configuration on the router, whatever you had in running config will be gone because it booted up with the old startup config. In essence after doing this there's no going back without manually changing, reconfiguring, etc.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6
  • •1.       Before that, do I need to wipe out the existing confi on the brand new switch?

Answer:  I always ersase the default configuration on the switch by doing "er startup" and then reloading the switch

• •2.       About  using TFTP, how does this new switch connects to the TFTP? Does it mean  I have to assign a real IP and put it on our network? More details, pls

Answer: Multiple ways you can use test network, you can assign it a static IP on the network and move the config from the other switch to this one or let it grab an IP from the DHCP and then move the config from the other switch to this one.  You can simply setup the other switch you are replacing as a tftp server to copy the config to the new switch.

LAAsm2012b
Level 1
Level 1

both are excellent answers, but yours are easier to understand, thx.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card