cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to correctly configure Cisco Smart Switch

mrciavz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I have a problem with the Cisco Smart Switch Business 250 Series, I can't get the devices to connect to the network and I don't know how to do it because it's the first time I configure a switch so I ask for your help.
Basically the network is made in this way:
- There is a router connected to the Internet whose public interface has a fixed public IP while internal interface is 192.168.11.254
- The internal interface of the router is directly connected to port out 1 of the WatchGuard Firewall with address 192.168.11.2.
- The internal interface of the Firewall has IP address 192.168.1.254 and is connected to a Passive Switch to which are connected through ethernet cables passing through the wall the various computers and devices of the various rooms of the office, and therefore normally the devices are assigned IP addresses such as 192.168.1.x through DHCP.
-Each workstation has its own wall outlet to which to connect the network cable.

Now what I've done is to connect the Cisco Smart Switch to one of the ethernet sockets to which the devices are normally connected, and connect the device to the smart switch.
I can connect to the administration panel of the Smart Switch from the device by assigning to it a static IP of 192.168.1.x and connecting to 192.168.1.254 as written in the instructions (which is the same IP that is assigned to the Firewall), but the device does not connect to the Internet.
What should I do to allow the devices to connect to the Internet?
Rules in the firewall or some setting in the switch (I haven't configured anything in the admin panel).
Thanks for the help

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If all working until the socket before you connecting CBS 250 Switch to wall socket.

Make sure you change the IP address of CBS 250 IP address 192.168.1.X ( X is the IP you need to use where the IP free in the watchgaurd FW  DHCP range, and explude that IP from DHCP in watch Gaurd)  - disable DHCP on CB 250 switch since WAtch gaurd act as DHCP Server. save the config (making default gateway towards watchgaurd IP 192.168.1.254

Example :

WAtch Gaurd IP - 192.168.1.254

CBS - 192.168.1.253 - with the gateway -192.168.1.254 (Layer 2 only)

then PC should get DHCP IP from watchgaurd should work as expected with out any major config change.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

mrciavz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi thank you so much for the reply, I immediately tried to do as mentioned but it still doesn't work.
The current situation is that if I plug the device into the wall outlet it connects to the Internet, while if I plug the device into the switch and the switch into the wall outlet there is no connection.
I send screenshots of the settings that I changed on the panel, maybe you can tell me if I did something wrong or I need to add something thanks.

From the administration panel of the Cisco Smart Switch I tried to ping the firewall (192.168.1.254) and I get no response, while from Devices that are directly connected to the wall the ping is successful.

the end device need to point to gateway 192.168.1.254 (not to 192.168.1.253 switch)

if this is acting Layer 2, i remove ip routing enable and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

mrciavz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi thanks for the tips, but I can't figure out how to set the gateway on the Cisco switch. I wanted to ask if there was a way to do these things from the admin panel of the switch rather than using the terminal. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card