Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to drop packets

hi

in my lan i see valid source IP addresses try to reach a invalid source IP addresses which is not available in the LAN.

for example in my firewall log

Deny inbound UDP from 172.16.1.3/1042 to 172.17.10.3/161 on interface inside

172.16.1.3 is valid but 172.17.10.3 is invalid or non existent

can you help create a acces list or packet drop config in switch so that this packet does not reach the firewall                  

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

karthikeyan

Use you own names interfaces etc, but something along these lines.

!
ip access-list extended YOURLIST
deny udp host 172.16.1.3 eq 1042 host 172.17.10.3 eq 161
permit ip any any
!
!
!
interface vlan 16
ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip access-group YOURLIST in
!

By the way UDP port is used for SNMP.
Looks like your device is trying to contact an snmp server.

Useful links:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#ipnamacl

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BTW, an alternative to using an ACL, you might be able to route bad packets to a null interface, which also effectively drops them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card