Views
Helpful
Replies

How to identify configured Interface Bandwidth

kuldeeprawat
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have a very basic question, would appreciate if you can give me a prompt answer.

I have one ISP connnected on one serial interface.

He is confirming that he has given me 2 Mbps one to one Bandwidth.

How can i check it from the IOS commands that he has given 2 Mbps.

Thanks

Irshad

3 Replies 3

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

Show interface will give you a 5-minute average. If you run what you think is sustained traffic across the link for a 5 to 10 minute period, it should come out close to 2Mbps.

An easier way would probably be to run a utilization monitor like PRTG, and shorten the measuring interval. I have one set up that monitors at 6-second intervals, it gives a near-real-time view of what's happening on the port. Then you can chart your usage over time. The free version of PRTG lets you monitor one interface, which should be fine for what you want to do. Here's a link:

PRTG Traffic Grapher 4

Bandwidth and Network Usage Monitoring Made Easy

http://www.paessler.com/prtg

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Irshad,

Do a "sh ip int brief" to find which serial interface has been used for the ISP connection.

then do a "sh int serial"

the output will be something link this

Serial0/1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is GT96K Serial

Internet address is 10.254.2.29/30

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

The BW will let u know the bandwith of the link..

Sai.

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

AFIAK thres no way to know the bandwidth limited or configured in the isp side router.

he might hve limited using CAR on his interface which may not be visible for u if u dont hve the access to the isp sides router.

the best practical thing wht i would suggest is try to download some big files simultaneously from diff sites and chek up the total speed ur gettng in all downloads ,tht might help u to find out how much approx b/w configured..

regds

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card