Views
Helpful
Replies

How to make 2 VLANS Communicate

Sheldon Dsouza
Level 1
Level 1

Our Previous environment:

We are connected through the Gov. Sector through the MPLS line. Our main switch ‘SG300-52 52-Port Gigabit Managed Switch’ is connected to the Gov.’s WS-C3560X-24P Switch from which we are able to access internet for our internal network 10.65.112.X Range.

Our current environment:

After the installations of CCTVs, the vendor has installed 14 Cisco WS-C2960X-24PS-L Switches, with the cameras on 10.65.113.X Range. One of the switches has a trunk port created to the Gov.’s Switch and we are able to access the cameras.

Our Requirement:

We plan on removing the old switches and shift our internal network of 10.65.112.X onto the Cisco 2960X Switches. To my understanding a VLAN has to be created in these switches for the 10.65.112.X and an IP given to it. Also I have managed to add respective ports to the newly created VLAN. I’m unsure how to proceed further! I would want both ranges to communicate with each other.

None of the 2960X Switches have a default gateway assigned to them. The default gateway for the internal network is 10.65.112.1

Could someone provide me with the steps on how to proceed…

2 Replies 2

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

You need a L3 device to communicate between two different VLANs. 

Apply following configuration on L3 Switch or Router

1. Choose Encypasulation protocol "Dot1q or ISL"

3. Make sub interface as required (On router only)

4. Make trunk port and two same vlans on L3 Switch (If you are using L3 device as Switch)

5. Run command 

"IP Routing" (on L3 Switch only because Router already have enabled it)

If you need basic configuration as example then let me know your L3 device.

Reagrds,

Deepak Kumar

www.deepuverma.in 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

chinmoy.boruah1
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 2960 are L2 switches. In any L2 switch, if you have to carry out inter vlan routing, you need to connect it with a router (L3 device). Intervlan routing would be carried out by the router.

Just configure the port connecting to the router in Trunk mode.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card