Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover running-configurations in rommon mode

ArshdeepDhillon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am in urgent need for help recovering running-configurations in rommon mode. Cisco engineers have tried everything. I am not at location yet but will be there tomorrow. I wanted to get as many info as i can. If i dont get this running-configuration many people's job will be in trouble. This VS-C6509E-S720-10G switch is headend switch being used as router too.

Please help!!!!!!!!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bring a multi-card reader with you.  You'll be asked to do something "funky" when you get to the site. 

Additional to Leo's comment, try to use 'DIR' command from rommon, example:

dir bootflash:

dir slot0:

I think you can move files from a location to other like the compact flash (but Im not totally sure).

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Not easy, Julio.  Not with a Sup720.

The only way is for someone to remove the supervisor card and pull out the two CF inside.  One of them is the NVRAM and this is where the IOS is stored.  If the network operator is good and he/she has managed to make a backup of the latest configuration prior to the line card failing, then it'll make things a lot easier.  Otherwise, I'll have to presume none was ever made.  

Hi Leo,

Thank you so much, yes I remember someone made that procedure with the internal CF to recover a 6506

Thank you again. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

yes I remember someone made that procedure with the internal CF to recover a 6506

TAC should know this, unless the TAC Engineer happens to be an external contractor who didn't reach out to internal Cisco documentation.

ArshdeepDhillon
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was able to get that switch up after removing bad SUP. everything is good for now saved configurations. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card