cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to replace SUP Engine from Catlayst 6506 E (only one chassis)

andypar
Level 1
Level 1

I Need to replace a faulty SUP Engine of Catalyst 6506 - E (only one chassis and one SUP, no redundancy). I want to know the procedure,

8 Replies 8

If you have TAC support, they will certainly walk you through the process. If not, here are some high level suggestions. Copy the startup configuration and the vlan.dat file to the storage media (CF, SD card, whatever) where the IOS resides. Replace the SUP with the new one with the old storage media. Copy the file to the new startup config, and copy the vlan.dat to wherever it resided before (most likely bootflash:). Then reboot the switch and you should be good to go. Obviously there will be down time in this. I would suggest you give yourself no less than 2 hours. It could be less, but try not to paint yourself into a corner!

ok, thanks Elliot

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1st question is  - do you have a backup config?  if you have a contract raise a TAC Case for RMA and upgrade the sup card desired version of IOS Code and restore the config and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, i have a backup config file. The device is out of contract

image.png

This got flash card. so you can remove and when the new sup card come insert and recover the config.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the exact Supervisor card?

The supervisor card is VS-SUP2T-10G

@andypar wrote:

The supervisor card is VS-SUP2T-10G

Look at the front of the line card:  Left side there is a CF slot & right side there is a USB port. 

Either way, the IOS, config and VLAN.dat can be exported/imported through those media.  

I think the CF slot is called "disk0:" and the USB slot is called "USB0:".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card