Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup SPAN on 4900m Switch

Hey there,

I currently have IOS image cat4500e-entservices-mz.122-53.SG5.bin.  According to my research it appears SPAN is supported on this OS.  However, after looking at procedure notes using websites like here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml#topic4 I cannot find and obviously not figure out how to use the SPAN  command.  My main objective is to simply setup a port mirror on one of my TenGigabitEthnet interfaces and from what I read SPAN is the best way to setup a tap interface on a cisco switch.  Any ideas or suggestions on how I can get SPAN to work or some other type of alternative I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Dan Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dan,

You can use below commands.

config terminal

monitor session 1 source interface TenGig x/x  (This is port which you want to monitor)

monitor session 1 destination interface TenGig xx/xx (The port on switch packet capture software will be running)

You can verify the session with show monitor session 1 command.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dan,

You can use below commands.

config terminal

monitor session 1 source interface TenGig x/x  (This is port which you want to monitor)

monitor session 1 destination interface TenGig xx/xx (The port on switch packet capture software will be running)

You can verify the session with show monitor session 1 command.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Hey Najaf,

Thank you for your response.  I actually also found the correct answer in the cisco guide pdf for 4500 switches.  The links I originally looked at indicated to me there was an actual SPAN command but it looks like monitor is the command.  Anyhow, thanks again for your assistance.

Dan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card