cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade Cisco 9200 Switch from USB in ROMON the Mode.

Zee-Far-Man
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Pros,

I was trying a Brand new Cisco 9200 Catalyst switch to Latest IOS firmware.  I was able to upload the Image successfully. I would see it in the flash: But when I gave command show version it was showing the old Image.

So I was trying to change the boot variable by using command. bootsysteb bootflash:cat9k_lite_iosxexxxxx.bin

Switch rebooted couple of time and now it on ROMMON MODE   switch:

switch: help

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

arp                  Dump or Clear ARP Table

boot                 Load and boot an executable image

cat                  Display text content from a file

copy                 Copy a file

dir                  List filesystems or a directory on a filesystem path

help                 List command information

history              Show command history

idprom               Show idprom data

ping                 Ping use ICMP protocol to get an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from host

ping6                Ping use ICMP protocol to get an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from host

reset                Reset entire system

set                  Set an environment variable value

unset                Unsets an environment variable

version              Show sboot version and runtime info

I wanted to upgrade latest IOS using USBflash:0 
Please guide how can I upload the new IOS from the ROMON mode??

Thanks in advanced.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Zee-Far-Man wrote:
I can not send you complete output, switch is in secure classified lab.

This reasoning is not going to work because there is nothing "confidential" from the ROMMON command of "set". 

Besides, if this is a "secure classified lab", then WTF is this thread doing here?  Anybody working with classified network would always engage TAC and not in a public forum.  

One of the only reason why this thread is here (instead of engaging TAC) is when the "secure classified lab" do not have access to TAC.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

@Zee-Far-Man 

did you try to use the command boot ?

boot flash:<filename>.bin

Yes, I did it, 
Switch was runing ################# 
rebooted twice and came back to ROMON mode

Switch:

I trying to use commands boot usbflash0:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.12.04.SPA.bin one more time again.
And switch showing ERROR: failed to boot from flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.12.04.SPA.bin

the IOS was uploaded, and I could see switch> Prompted.  But when I reload it come back to ROMON mode (switch:)

I did save the boot variables 
boot system switch all flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.12.04.bi.  Is this correct image for c9200-48P switch??

Please guide.  Project is delaying.

Thanks.

@Zee-Far-Man wrote:
rebooted twice and came back to ROMON mode

Post the complete output to the command "set". 

I suspect someone performed the password-recovery and did not disable "bypass config and boot into ROMMON" option.

@Leo Laohoo:

Thanks for your response.  This is a brand new switch just took out of the box to upgrade the firmware first.  Than I had to put configuration.  But I got stuck at ROMMON mode. I was able to boot from the from the USBflash:0 but the IOS wouldn't save at bootflash when I try to reload the switch.

Thanks.

@Zee-Far-Man wrote:

This reasoning is not going to work because there is nothing "confidential" from the ROMMON command of "set". 

Besides, if this is a "secure classified lab", then WTF is this thread doing here?  Anybody working with classified network would always engage TAC and not in a public forum.  

One of the only reason why this thread is here (instead of engaging TAC) is when the "secure classified lab" do not have access to TAC.

@ Leo Laohoo

Thanks for the Good and nice words and thanks for your assistance.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card