Views
Helpful
Replies

How to VLAN 379 pc's and one printer

ziham
Level 1
Level 1

how to vlan this scenario?

School of Computing has six computer labs having 50 PCs and 2 computer labs having 20 PCs. It has 15 lecturer rooms and 5 head of department rooms. Also there is a program admin office which has 7 PCs and a networked printer. The dean’s office has 10 PCs and a networked printer.

7 Replies 7

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is advised to have VLAN as per your network design. Here, As per my experience, I am sharing some tips for the same:

One VLAN for Management: For example VLAN 2

One VLAN for All Computer Labs: For Example VLAN 3

One VLAN for Staffs including HoD: For Example VLAN 4

One VLAN for Dean Office: For Example VLAN 5

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

thank you but can i know how many switches i should use? like for example in the computer lab it says total 340 pc's and only one switch can connect 22 pc's there for 340 pc's should i have 16 switches ? how can i VLAN those ? 

Hi,

There are about 350 Systems are available in the LAB then you must assign one more VLAN for the LAB.If you are asking about switch then It depends on your physical distance between labs. If possible then choose a chassis-based switch "Catalyst 4510R+E" with "Supervisor 8E" or "Catalyst 9400 10-slot". 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/index.html#~stickynav=1

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/models-comparison.html#~tab-supervisors

You can go with Switch selector. It will helpful for you. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/switches/cisco-switch-selector-how-to/index.html#/

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

thank you for the resources. but in this case, how can i VLAN that lab? 

50 x 6 = 300 Pc's

20 x 2 = 40 Pc's

do i need to use 4 switches and 1 VLAN to 2 labs to cover 100 Pc's?

if soi need 12 switches and 3 VLANS? for 300 Pc's? 

1 VLAN (2 switches) for 40 Pc's ??

Hi,

You can keep 340 systems in a single VLAN, it's not a big VLAN but again I am asking about physical distance and What type of traffic you have in the LAB? 

If there is a possibility with single IDF then you can use Chasis basis switch or Stack switches and keep one or two VLANs in the lab. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

all devices are withing 200 meters.. thank you 

Hi,

Then Stack switches or two chassis-based (5 or 7 modular)  are the best solutions for you. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card