cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP SFP compatibility

kardos420
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that has an HP infrastrucutre (I know... losers) but I am integrating a new Cisco core switch (3560X with 1GB module) and I'm curious if they can use their existing HP SFP - Part #: J4858B

Will I be able to use this SFP in the Cisco switch to connect fiber to their HP?   Are all SFP's pretty  much considered the same?   (this would be a GLC-SX-MM evuivalent..)

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco devices are particular about optics, so comparability of Cisco vs HP, vs Dell, etc SFPs is hard to tell unless you actually put it in the device and see the interface go to up an up mode.  Here is a list of the part numbers that Cisco devices like. I know that transition networks SFPs work well with Cisco devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Landing/SFP-XFP/SFP-XFP.aspx?gclid=CN24gZmNlaoCFULc4AodphPXww

Hi,

When GBIC/SFP is inserted into a cisco switch, the hardware type will be shown as Unknown.

So Cisco switch needs to have its cisco part numbers to be used and recognized to work properly.....

What i said above is what i read it few days back, but i have never faced or seen it live myself.......

Hope someone who have seen this case helps us here

Manju

Hello,

To my best knowledge, only Cisco original SFPs work out of the box when inserted into Cisco switch. Other vendors' SFP modules will be initially rejected by a Cisco switch as being non-genuine. It is possible to force the switch to try using the third party SFPs using the global configuration command service unsupported-transceiver (needs to be written precisely as indicated here without abbreviations or command completions as it is a hidden command). Whether the SFP will work successfully depends but usually, my experience was positive.

Best regards,

Peter

Ya this command works perfectly, but if any issue comes afterwards and seen in show tech then switch warranty will be void

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card