Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP active while SVI is down

kralopafo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I'm little bit practicing in packet tracer and I went into one uncertainty about HSRP.

Let's imagine you have configured SVI for Vlan10, on two Multiplayer-switches [A, B], interconnected between each other, via two trunks.

HSRP active is Switch A, while standby is B, based on priority, preemption is enabled

Everything looks OK now.

I just manually shouted down whole SVI (Valn10 interface) on HSRP Active Switch A.

However Switch A is still Acting as an Active even through the whole SVI is down.

Hosts from Vlan10 can't reach their Gateway, because Switch A remains Active, even through the whole SVI is down.

I was thinking that if SVI with HSRP Active would go down, HSRP would recognize the interface down so VIP and Virtual MAC would be used by Standby, so next Active.

Could you please give me any advice on this ?

How an experienced Admin could prevent of such a scenario, if HSRP Active  SVI would go down?

Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I just tested this extensively in both version 7.2 and version 8, definitely looks like a bug.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

try and remove the cable rather than manually shutting the interface, does that make a difference ? Actually, can you post the zipped project (.pkt) file ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since its virtual you may not get as expected results. (try shutdown the interface Physical one where Layer 2 passing to see if that works ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If it's just caused by virtual appliance of Packet Tracer Environment, i would be enough satisfied.

I just wanted to make me sure that this couldn't happen in real environment.

Funny thing is that, once I re-enabled SVI, I noticed a message:

%HSRP-6-STATECHANGE: Vlan10 Grp 1 state Standby -> Active

However, it didn't even works as standby before I re-enabled it.

I tried to turn off the master HSRP Switch and Backup took responsibility of VIP, as it has to.

Hello,

do you have the zipped .pkt file ?

Here

Hello,

I just tested this extensively in both version 7.2 and version 8, definitely looks like a bug.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card