Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and redundancy between two routers and two layer 2 switches

network_user
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am getting ready to setup a network with two 1921 routers and two 2960x L2 switches. I would like to use HSRP on the routers for redundancy. Also, I would like to create redundant links between the routers and switches, so that if there is a single link failure between the router and the switch, the second link takes over the traffic rather than HSRP failing over the traffic to backup router. I don't want to use ethernet switch modules on the router to create port-channel between router and switch, because i would like to avoid STP issues. 

Is there a way I can achieve link redundancy between 1921 router and 2960X stack without using the switch module on the router and only using the routed interfaces? I looked into backup interface command, but that does not work very well with HSRP (cannot have same hsrp configuration on the primary and backup interfaces).

Is there a way to do etherchannel/port-channel with routed ports on the routers with the ports on the L2 switches?

Is there any other better way to achieve hsrp redundancy and also link redundancy between two 1921 routers and two 2960X stacked switches?

Attached please find the basic connectivity I am thinking of accomplishing.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

network_user
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Any suggestions/comments??

Thanks

I haven't done etherchannel on 1921s but I believe they do support L3 etherchannel on the gigabit interfaces.

And you can spread an etherchannel across both switches in the stack so again I assume you could what you are asking although I can't say for sure.

Why do you not want to just failover to the other router ?

Jon

Hello Jon,

Thanks for the response. I wanted to see if I can take advantage of port-channel to minimize the factors that would cause the router to failover. If its just a link failure I was wondering if I can take advantage of port-channel rather than failover the router.

However, I am not sure if 1921 supports port-channel or if there is any other way I can accomplish this. 

I saw that I can create a BVI using two routed interfaces on the router, but then I will not be able to create or trunk vlans from the switch to this BVI interface. I have multiple vlans which will go over this link so i also need trunk supportability.

Thanks

You can try using a L3 etherchannel with subinterfaces on the router and that would allow multiple vlans.

Like I say I haven't used etherchannel on those routers but it would pretty simple to setup and do a quick test to see if it works.

Jon

can you explaine it?

I have one stacked 3750 switch(only L2) and I want to connect two routers with one port on every router to one stack member. On every router I have port-channel interfaces with defined addresses. Both ports on every router are in ether-channel which works. But I cant get hsrp to work even I can ping ip addresses on both routers including vIP. Both routers say that they are active routers.

Looks like you do not have layer-2 connectivity between the routers. Either the routers have to talk between themselves over a switched interface or the communication should happen from the 3750 stack perspective.
Can you share the topology and configs of the routers and switch

I dont think that L2 connectiviti is the problem. Check the attached files.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card